Bridging the gap
for changing families

Child Support Modification Lawyers in Nebraska Helping You Adapt to an Ever-Changing Life

Life constantly changes, presenting new challenges that require adaptation and resilience. Legal matters like the modification of child support and child custody can feel overwhelming amid such changes. This is where we at GordenLaw, LLC, step in.

With a steadfast commitment to defending your interests and those of your children, our firm offers remarkable handling of complex child support modification cases. We understand the emotional turbulence that can accompany these situations, and we’re here to provide reliable, compassionate legal assistance every step of the way.

Don’t try to tackle this complicated procedure alone in family court. If your circumstances have changed and you need to modify your child support obligations, please contact our firm today so we can assist you. A simple phone call can put your mind at ease. Call (402) 403-6600 now!

What Warrants a Modification to Child Support?

In a child support agreement, the amount of child support is not set in stone and can be modified as life circumstances change for either the ex-spouse or the child. Factors that could lead to a change in an existing order include a significant change in income for one of the parents, job loss, a change in the child’s needs, or a change in the amount of time the child spends with each parent.

The court considers several factors when determining a downward modification or upward modification. These include changes in income due to situations like disability, illness, or a change in employment or unemployment. For instance, if a parent has been laid off or can no longer work due to disability or serious illness, they may request the payments be lowered.

In addition to income changes, changes in the child’s needs, such as medical expenses or childcare costs, can justify a modification request to the child support obligation. Moreover, changes in parenting time, such as a significant increase or decrease in the amount of time the child spends with either parent, can also be considered.

It’s important to note that any changes must be permanent, significant, and unanticipated. Temporary changes are typically not enough to warrant a modification in child support. To request a modification, you will need proof of your income and expenses, child care expenses, medical insurance, disability status, and unemployment status, among other things. It’s advisable to consult with a legal professional to understand your rights and obligations when submitting a modification petition.

How Do You File for a Child Support Modification in Nebraska?

Child support is a crucial legal obligation, ensuring that both parents contribute to their child’s financial well-being. In Nebraska, these laws are governed by the Nebraska Supreme Court’s Child Support Guidelines, which use the income share model to determine the amount of support. This model estimates the monthly cost of raising a child and divides it proportionally between the parents based on the party’s gross income.

However, life is not static, and changes in circumstances for the non-custodial parent or custodial parent can necessitate modifications to child support orders. Factors such as significant changes in a parent’s income, alterations in the child’s needs, or substantial financial gain for the supporting parent can lead to modifications.

To initiate this modification process, a parent must provide evidence of these changes and prove they are significant. It’s advisable to consult with a child support modification lawyer to guide you through this process, ensuring all necessary paperwork forms are completed and deadlines met to grant you a support payment.

If you want to protect your rights and your child’s best interests, you must know the ins and outs of Nebraska’s child support laws and the circumstances that can lead to changes. If you are facing a situation where a modification may be necessary, don’t hesitate to contact GordenLaw, LLC, for professional legal assistance.

Can Disputes Arise When Getting a Child Support Order Modified?

Modifying a child support order can often lead to disputes due to the complex nature of the process and the personal circumstances involved. Disagreements can arise from various factors, including changes in income, alterations in the child’s needs, or disagreements on how much time the child spends with each parent.

Disputes can also occur if there is a significant change in the child’s needs. For example, if a child’s medical expenses increase or there are additional educational costs, one parent may request that the other contributes more. This can lead to disagreements, especially if the other parent feels they are already contributing enough or if they question the validity of these expenses.

Initiating a modification process typically involves filing a motion with the court and can involve legal fees, which can also become a point of contention between parents. Legal advice can be crucial in navigating these disputes. A lawyer can provide guidance on the process, help collect and present necessary evidence, negotiate on behalf of their client, and represent them in court if needed. Consulting with a legal professional from our firm early in the process can help manage potential disputes and ensure the best outcome for all parties involved.

Why Should I Hire a Child Support Attorney in Nebraska?

Hiring an experienced and knowledgeable child support modification attorney in Nebraska is essential to protect your rights and ensure the best possible outcome for you and your child. At GordenLaw, LLC, our compassionate and reliable attorneys team has served families in Nebraska for years. We understand the complex child support modification issues that can arise when seeking a modification, and we are committed to providing sound legal representation.

Our lawyers will help you submit all necessary paperwork on time and provide guidance regarding potential disputes. We also have considerable experience negotiating agreements with opposing parties outside of court, allowing you to avoid the stress and delays of a trial.

No matter what changes life brings, GordenLaw, LLC is here to give you the peace of mind you need knowing your family’s finances are secure. Contact us today at (402) 403-6600 to discuss your case and begin the process of seeking a modification to your child support order.